7 Benefits of Regular Dental Cleanings
by 6monthsmiles, on 5/4/17 9:12 AM
If you want to keep your teeth and gums healthy, it's important to make regular visits to the dentist. One of the most basic services your dentist performs is cleaning your teeth. Dentists usually recommend getting your teeth cleaned twice per year. There are quite a few reasons to make sure you don't forget to do this. Here are 7 benefits of dental cleanings.
- A More Attractive Smile - The most obvious reason for a dental cleaning is to give your teeth a cleaner and more attractive appearance. Everyone wants a brighter smile. However, over-the-counter products sold for this purpose are not as effective as getting your teeth cleaned. In some cases, DIY teeth whitening (such as bleaching) is even dangerous for your teeth. Your dentist is able to safely and effectively clean your teeth. Many things, including food, soda, alcoholic beverages, and tobacco can stain your teeth. A cleaning removes these stains and whitens your teeth, making your smile brighter and more appealing wherever you go!
- Fresher Breath - No one wants bad breath, but this is a common issue. Good oral hygiene helps to prevent this issue. This starts with brushing and flossing every day. Aside from this, breath mints and gum are sometimes helpful. However, if you want to remove plaque and debris thoroughly, you need regular dental cleanings. This is one of the best ways to prevent and cure long-term bad breath. Additionally, if there are other problems contributing to your bad breath, your dentist will identify and address them.
- Fewer Cavities - Have you noticed that the longer you wait to visit the dentist, the more cavities you have? One reason for this is that if you don't get regular cleanings, plaque builds up on your teeth. Plaque is the substance that causes decay. Everyday brushing helps to remove plaque, but you don't get it all this way. Over time, it builds up and contributes to problems such as cavities. When you remember to visit the dentist for a cleaning, you're helping to prevent cavities.
- Prevent Loss of Teeth - One of the worst dental problems is losing your teeth. While you can always replace teeth with dentures or implants, it's far better if you keep your original teeth. The main cause of tooth loss is gum disease, a problem that's extremely prevalent. Yet gum or periodontal disease is also preventable. A simple cleaning removes plaque and helps to keep your gums clean and healthy. This helps you avoid the costly, painful, and embarrassing issue of tooth loss.
- Better Health - Research shows that your dental health affects your overall health. There is a link between gum disease and heart health, for example. In fact, people with periodontal disease are twice as likely to suffer from heart attacks. Dental problems are also linked to other health conditions such as diabetes and strokes. Even if you aren't concerned about the state of your smile, this is a good reason to make sure you take good care of your teeth. Good oral health starts with regular cleanings.
- Save Money - Dental procedures can be costly. Getting cavities filled, root canals, bridges, and implants can become expensive. It's much more economical to prevent such problems than to have to fix them. Getting dental cleanings regularly is one of the cheapest things that your dentist does and it's covered by most insurance policies. By taking the time to do this, you'll be saving yourself money in the long run.
- Reduce Discomfort - No one looks forward to complicated dental procedures. A dental cleaning is a simple and fast way to keep your mouth clean and healthy. This helps you avoid having to sit in the dentist's chair for longer and more complicated procedures later on.
Dental cleanings are just one of the crucial services your dentist performs. Another is straightening your crooked teeth. To learn how to get straight teeth in less time with Six Month Smiles, contact us.